Support throughout your journey
Adoption is a lifelong experience and we’re there for you and the child right from the start and into the future
Adoptive families often need support at the start of their new life together as well as later on. There may be times when you need specialist practical and therapeutic support, to help you and your child understand their history and the impact their early experiences may have on your daily lives.
Support might include:
- Advice and information for families and professionals
- Support groups for adopted children and adoptive parents
- Assistance with contact
- Support with children’s therapeutic needs
- Signposting and referrals to other services, such as education, health etc.
- Training and hosting special activities for adoptive families
- Managing our Letterbox scheme
The Permanence Support Team run a helpdesk, where a social worker will be available to talk to adoptive parents and special guardians. You can contact us either by telephone, email or by writing to us. The adoption helpdesk is there to help us help you.
Call 01865 897981
If only a simple, one-off service is needed, this may be provided without a formal adoption support plan being drawn up. If, following assessment, there is a need for ongoing adoption support, we will draw up a plan of what services we propose to offer. The plan will be reviewed periodically.
Course costs are met by Adopt Thames Valley for adopters approved by us and/or for adopters resident in Oxfordshire where their children were adopted more than three years ago. View information of the training we offer.